Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ethnography Idea

The Ethnography I am going to do is my idea of seeing who will recycle papers on campus versus simply throwing it in the trash.  The process is simple:

1.  Create many sheets of paper (a set amount, just a large number) with sayings such as "Do you hate people handing out papers on campus?  Would you prefer more recycling bins on campus? Go to this website for further information ... (website goes here) ... or simply recycle or throw away this piece of paper."

or perhaps just something like:  "Please recycle me or throw me away!"


2.  Borrow a large trash can and a large paper recycling bin.

3.  Place recycling bin and trash can next to each other in an intersection with heavy foot traffic.

4.  Stand with papers created in (1) near trash can and recycling bin.

5.  Hand papers out to random people as they walk toward me and the trash can/recycling bin.

6.  After all papers are handed out simply pick up the trash can and recycling bin and count up the papers inside each.

7.  Having a website link to a simple survey where the user can enter nominal information such as, "Do you prefer to recycle or toss things in the garbage?" with answers like, "whatever is closest" or "recycling if I can find one"

This would not only account for papers that were not gathered at the end of the user study, but would also allow for extra information to be gathered in the process.

Results are pretty easy to achieve!

Currently I am the only one I know of working on this ethnography, but I know Jill asked me in class so she might be in my group as well.  Feel free to join!  (It's easier than the other ones, you know you want to do it)

6 comments:

  1. I like your idea and I think it could be fun! I'm still figuring things out with my bros about what they're going to do. I'll get back to you on this later today or Tuesday before class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to encourage people to throw away the fliers they should have lots of words, an indiscernible photocopied graphic and be printed on a hard to read color, like red. Either a fourth or and eighth of a page is what I usually see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll do it! J&B are doin somethin with helpdesk that I dunno about so they are not offended I don't want to work with them to make their results less sexist :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, awesome two person team!

    and yes, I agree that the papers should have lots of words on it, we don't want people using it just for scratch paper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to join your group.

    I think my idea may be a little too hard to observe indirectly...

    Plus I really liked your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sure Ross, we don't mind at all!

    welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete